1. Cut two 17x17 squares from your main fabric.
With one of the squares fold in half and cut out half a heart. (keep the cut out heart for the matching pillow)
2. open it up and determine the size of fabric you'll need to cover the heart... mine was about 10x10. Cut that out of a coordinating fabric.
3. Pin it to the back of the main fabric. (tip: you may want to pin all the way around the heart... I didn't and mine ended up a little crooked.) Then sew around the heart.
and you'll sandwich it between the two 17x17 pieces.
5. Now you can either sew all the way around leaving a 3inch hole and stuff with poly fill, or make a pocket pillow like mine. it makes storing my pillowcases much easier and then I use the same pillow for all my different holiday pillowcases.
to make the pocket case...
6.Take the back piece of fabric and fold one end about 1 inch then fold again. Then sew to create a finished edge.
7. Then cut about a 5x17inch piece of the same fabric and make a finished edge like the step before...
8. Now when layer the front piece with the heart, then ruffle, then the two back pieces, right sides together... Overlaping the two finished edges...
Here is a close up of my edges.... hope that helps. Sew all the way around. and turn inside out and put your pillow in!
1. Cut out 17x17 pieces of fabric
2. Make a ruffle with a coordinating fabric and then using the heart cut out from pillow #1, pin the ruffle and the heart to the front of one of the 17x17 pieces.
2. Sew around the edge of the heart.
3. then Sew the front and back piece together. done.
(i did add a 2in piece of fabric folded in half between the two pillow layers for a border, but not necessary)